Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hooked on House




I admit it. I am totally hooked on House. Every year, I await the DVD release of the latest season so that I can greedily devour episode after episode like a pig at the trough.

What makes this series so addictive (in spite of the often sometimes unbelievable medical twists in the stories)?

Well, mainly, Hugh Laurie himself. I was introduced to Hugh Laurie when I watched his delightful Jeeves and Wooster series (with Hugh Laurie as the bumbling Wooster and Stephen Fry as Jeeves).

But this series is so much more. The character development is irresistible and the rotating cast of side kicks from season to season keeps things fresh. I find myself discussing the characters and what they did after each episode concludes. Now THAT is the hallmark of great writing.

And who hasn't wished there was a House in the house during a medical confinement in the hospital? Four or five doctors focused on your treatment and running in and out of your room throughout the day? Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Of course each season seems to have a medical theme. For the first two years, everybody was getting lumbar punctures and season 8 is marked by patients who vomit blood. Yup, not one episode is complete until we see the old blood on the hospital gown "Doctor! What's WRONG with me?"

Let's not forget the breaking and entering that House's staff engages in on a routine basis. Yikes!

By the way, in season 8, they've ditched Dr. Cuddy. For 7 seasons, I watched Lisa Edelstein's costumes get tighter and tighter. I suspect the cumulative strain of squeezing into those impossibly tight skirts finally caused her head to explode.  I'm not sorry to see her go (but my husband is). I am totally liking Dr. Park.

I've heard Hugh Laurie interviewed on the radio. He sounds like a cool guy. Certainly somebody I would invite over for dinner. I even bought one of his CD's. Not bad.

So take a break (in convenient 43 minute segments) and enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed watching House for all the seasons. I totally agree about Dr. Cuddy's outfits. No self respecting hospital administrator would ever dress like that!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'House' series certainly kept my medical student daughter entertained during her training. I enjoy him too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved House, too. He was totally off the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Hugh Laurie, but never got into this series. Mostly because I don't really care for medical shows and haven't reliably watched a TV doctor show since Dr. Kildare. Liked Lisa Edelstein when she was in The West Wing, still my all-time favorite TV series. In fact, it's time to watch the whole series again :)

    ML

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED the show. And actually learned what sarcoidosis was before I went back to work in a hospital! ;-) Yeah, um, Cuddy's outfits cracked me up. I can assure you that our medical director (Ms. MD, PhD, MBA) does NOT dress like that and has the respect of pretty much everyone in the hospital as she's a freaking genius. Loved, loved, loved the last season (actually, loved all the season, and still watch House marathons when they come on tv). And, of course, I found House's continuing battle (okay, no battle, just ingestion) of Vicodin, uh, well, let's just say I got it. Finally, having first seen Wilson in Dead Poets' Society, I found it oddly comforting that he had many of the same characteristics in House.

    -Dr. Liz (who is not that kind of doctor, even though she knows what Guillain-Barre syndrome is, too...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you notice that House is another incarnation of Sherlock Holmes:-). Brilliant, rude, drug addicted solver of mysteries with one friend. House/Holmes, Wilson/Watson. The creators acknowledged the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete