Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sherlock

starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman

****
4 stars - recommend




Goodness, Sherlock Holmes is everywhere recently. I did enjoy both of the movies starring Robert Downey Jr. (such a delightful actor). I hear there is a show called Elementary on CBS as well. I'm not going to subject myself to that particular series. Come on, Lucy Liu as Dr. "Joan" Watson? That's an abomination! Knowing how American television can spoil any premise, I am sure that by season 3, Holmes will have jumped Watson's bones. Ish!

But oh the BBC series! Pure joy!

I heard about this series on the radio and did pause. Phhht! How can you bring Sherlock Holmes into the 21st century? But they did! And they did it with style.

The updated stories hold true to the original themes and characters and modern technology is unobtrusive.

At first, Benedict Cumberbatch took some getting used to, but by the end of the first season... oh yummy.






His Homes is curiously androgynous, totally self absorbed, unknowingly funny, and, of course, devastatingly brilliant! 

The second season ends with The Reichenbach Fall. Holmes's evil nemesis, Moriarty, is just so bad, so nasty and he is out to get Sherlock once and for all. Of course there MUST be a season three, right? But how? I went online to find discussion forums that offered several explanations of how Sherlock survived and, yes, thank goodness, some of them were quite plausible. Oh, I can hardly wait.

8 comments:

  1. I have that series in our Netflix queue somewhere!

    I'm watching Elementary right now, and it's not too bad. Holmes is quirky and brilliant, as well as flawed and human. Watson is a bit stiff and formal, but I think she will relax some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that Sherlock series, although my dearly beloved didn't enjoy it as much. I think it's because his ears are getting less youthful, and the British accents sometimes confound him. We've been watching Elementary, too, and it's just not as good as other incarnations of Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes. Haven't had a chance to watch the entire movies with Robert Downey Jr just bits and pieces on YouTube but plan to get them for Hubby's birthday. He saw the movies on one of his trips and loved them. This after declaring he did not want to see the movies because nobody but Jeremy Brett could ever play Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're watching Elementary, mostly because it's not football. Erm, uh, actually I think Gary just wanted to see some of the new shows. I'm not a big Lucy Liu fan, but as of episode 2, no jumping of bones. It's actually not as bad as I had expected - I'm going to give it a few more chances before I render my verdict. Honestly, I still like the Doyle originals best, but that's just me.

    -Dr. Liz (alas, not Holmes.... although I don't have a roommate who plays the violin terribly and has an opium habit, so that's something, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put me down for the original books and Jeremy Brett. Even have a soft spot for the hokey 1940's movies with Basil Rathbone.

    Cumberbatch made an excellent Spock in the most recent Star Trek movie that, surprisingly to me, never had any sequels. This 'updated' series is interesting, but heavy on the psychological interpretation to explain the characters. Moriarty isn't evil; he's a sociopath.

    The new TV series - a bit blah for my taste. Not hooked.

    ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wasn't Spock. He was the villain (and certainly excellent).

      Delete
  6. Sherlock Holmes teams up with Arthur Dent to solve the mystery of who destroyed the earth to make way for an interstellar bypass!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I give it five stars. I bought the DVDs and have watched multiple times. It just gets better. Benedict is yummy and Sherlock draws your attention but with each watching I've come more and more to appreciate what Martin Freeman brings to the show.

    ReplyDelete