Friday, November 2, 2012

The Avengers


The Avengers
2012
****
4 stars - recommend



First off, I will tell you that I am a big fan of super action, blow things up kinds of movies. If there are aliens, monsters, natural disasters, I am there. I put The Avengers in my Netflix queue just because it was an action movie. I didn't have a lot of hope that it would actually be good.

But it was. Wow!

This movie is just plain fun. There aren't any icky love stories, no social commentary, just lots of things blowing up, monsters, and super heros. Woo hoo!

What put this movie into the four star category was that it never tried to be more than it was and it sure felt like everybody involved in it was out to have a big old party. The writing is great. Seriously. Overblown statements about dominion over the Earth are made with tongue firmly in cheek. The actors all play their characters straight. The Avengers themselves have their own personal agendas and they don't always get along with each other. They make fun of themselves and their fellow super heros.

The scenes add enough clever details that I might even pitch into the five star category by watching it again. For example. In the super spy control room, all seriousness in discussion of what to do next and as Samuel L. Jackson wanders off screen, we briefly see one of the workers flip his computer screen to a game of Tetris. 

There are no painful jokes or gags (and nobody gets kicked in the nuts). 

Best scene by far (and this won't spoil it) is the Hulk kicking Loki's ass. Almost hit the replay button for that one. 

Yeah, people get killed. Hey! That's what happens when Norse Gods duke it out, but it is all comic book style action. No guts spilling out, or arms flying through the air, so I would rate this as OK for kids as well.

Oh, and of course, the battle scenes and special effects are quite satisfying.

1 comment:

  1. So you wrote this review in conjunction with my boys? Who knew that you guys were best buds. They have been telling me that I need to ditch that stodgy Inspector Lewis and get me some real action heros!

    ReplyDelete