Friday, October 18, 2013

A Shot in the Bark by C.A. Newsome


A Shot in the Bark
by C.A. Newsome
2011
*
1 star - WHERE'S THE CORGI?

ALR Green - dogs run around and get patted


I really did try. I hung in there for 180 out of 221 pages.

First demerit goes to the cover art. Is that or is that not a corgi? Not a corgi in sight in the book. OK, so, that had me fuming, but I at least thought we'd get a nice doggie kind of mystery. Nope. The dogs in the story are all relegated to running around in the dog park, begging for pizza, and getting patted. Not even enough doggie stuff for me to classify it as a dog mystery.

The dog park itself just serves as a convenient place to put all the characters in one place on a regular basis so that they can talk about what's going on.

Bland characters, boring plot. Here's a test. If I moved all the action to the local coffee shop and replaced the dogs with, let's say, donuts, would I have the same book? Yes.

I did skim the ending. Turns out the author leaves the killer (because there is apparently a serial killer on the loose) unknown. Yup, killer gets away to plot and plan another day but all the dorky humans think the case is closed. Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Um, a mystery that goes unsolved? I'm a big fan of mystery series, but the glue that holds the series together is the lives of the main characters, not the failure to solve a mystery. I don't blame you for throwing this down in disgust. Totally unrelated, I just won a copy of Five Days at Memorial - the account of the remaining staff at Memorial Hospital in New Orleans after Katrina hit. When I read a write-up on it, I really wanted to read it, but didn't want to put out the $$ for it, so when a copy arrived from the published yesterday, I was a Very Happy Camper! I'll keep you posted on what I think of it.

    -Dr. Liz, who likes the idea of replacing dogs with donuts (at least temporarily)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it, and was mad that I wasted my time and they never did actually find the killer, who framed a couple of others. Made me not want to even bother with the sequel, because, really, they're just going to drag on the same plot.

    Or maybe they'll have donuts do the investigating, after all. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the dogs enough to keep reading, but it definitely wasn't a favorite. (I'd forgotten I'd read it until I got part of the way through your review.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for saving me some time! An unsolved mystery would just frustrate the hell out of me, even if it was well written!

    ReplyDelete