Saturday, October 12, 2013

Sightless in Seattle by Claire Anderson


Sightless in Seattle
by Claire Anderson
2012
***
3 stars - good story, so so writing

ALR Green - Happy dogs doing good work


Claire Anderson gives us some wonderful anecdotes about guide dog boot camp and the challenges of being legally blind. However the writing is painfully terse and one only gets glimpses of what I imagine are fascinating stories.

I particularly liked her recitation of a "day in the life" of living with a guide dog. Made me feel a bit abashed that I don't brush Dexter often enough and certainly am lacking when it comes to brushing his teeth.

I totally see a TV series here. So much so that I sent the author an email encouraging her to look into it. 

Oh, and I also asked her to solve for me the mystery of poop collection. While she did share how poop depositing in a controlled fashion is achieved, well, inquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up!! And now I want to know, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now that you mention it, I am a little curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I know about the controlled collection, because the puppy trainer we hired to help us with Brutus told us of a trick with a paper match...well, it wasn't happy, but it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please solve the mystery of poop collection! Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)

    -Dr. Liz, who is still quite bummed that her local library is closed on Sundays...

    ReplyDelete