Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren

The Man with the Golden Arm
by Nelson Algren
1949
1950 National Book Award
no rating



I splurged and bought a box full of books from Amazon. I'd just lost patience with waiting and waiting for one of the institutions in the library network to obtain just a single edition of books that had been languishing in my reading queue (some for over a year).

When the box arrived, I kept reading The Man with the Golden Arm for all of a day before I allowed myself to mark my spot and try "just one" of the bounty now sitting in a pile on my reading table. 

The thing is, as I read my newly discovered treasure, the golden arm guy started losing a lot of his luster and I finally conceded that I would not be returning to it.

Doesn't mean it's a bad book. In fact it's a great book in a depressing hopeless poverty stricken drug addict kind of way. Because that's what this book is about. So without knowing how things play out in the story, I can give this one a thumbs up for those keen to pursue great literature. Sadly, I have reading rules and a book, once discarded, has it's bookmark removed and is placed on the outbound pile.

1 comment:

  1. Funny how something can captivate you in one moment and then lose your interest!

    ReplyDelete