Saturday, November 9, 2013

Hello Goodbye Hello by Craig Brown


Hello Goodbye Hello
by Craig Brown
2011
***
3 stars - even though I didn't finish it
ALR Blue - no animals, just people



As noted above, I didn't finish this book, but that doesn't mean it isn't good and I think some people will enjoy it.

Hello Goodbye Hello is a series of vignettes of meetings between the famous and infamous. Well written and well researched, each encounter is a delightful recreation of ordinary encounters made extraordinary by those involved.

I started off strong, but halfway through, a sameness settled in that ultimately robbed me of the desire to finish. That said, I do recommend the book. I can't fault it based on anything other than my own loss of interest.

You do need to know your history as the encounters are between politicians and artists of the early to mid twentieth century.

One gripe. The author goes out of his way to inform the reader that the book is comprised of 101 stories, each 1001 words, making the book 101,101 words long. Hardly. The heavily footnoted chapters tell the truth. Important information was rather randomly chopped and put at the bottom of the page in order to make the text fit the 1001 word format. Tsk, tsk.

1 comment:

  1. Setting yourself an exact regimen of 1001 words for each story seems like a recipe for disaster, because you're then limited in what you can say about a topic, or, you might, like, need to, say, stretch, um, enhance your word count, that is to say, verbiage, to a great, nay, excessive, degree....

    ReplyDelete