Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Glimpses of the Moon by Edmund Crispin


The Glimpses of the Moon
by Edmund Crispin
1977
*
1 star - delightful prose, but just too draggy

ALR Green - I only read 100 pages... some illusions to animal abuse, but otherwise happy guest spots by a variety of animals




Professor Gervase Fen sets out to find the true solution to the mystery of a curiously dismembered corpse.

Gobbo gave the impression of having been left over unaltered from a very early novel by Eden Phillpotts. He cackled pruriently at references to love or courtship. He cadged drinks. He reminisced, racily if not particularly engrossingly, about a boyhood whose chief amusements had apparently been poaching and voyeurism.

In the span of 100 pages, I went from being delighted to almost dreading the next passage. If this book is your style, then you'll love it. I did expand my vocabulary a bit and this is a fine example of a quirky mystery with plenty of unusual characters. But one can only take so much of a sluggish, meandering plot. Once I decided to stop, I realized that the author had conveniently summarized the solution in the last 30 pages or so, but alas, I didn't even care enough to get through that. Pity.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, just had to laugh...hehehe....
    Ruthless Mango Momma!
    Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Max Mom said. Ruthless is good, or at least helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete