Sunday, February 23, 2014

The God File by Frank Turner Hollon


The God File
by Frank Turner Hollon
2002
****
4 stars - but not sure how to articulate my thoughts
ALR Red - some scary stories involving animals, scary stories about people too



How to review this slim volume? Here are the facts. Gabriel Black has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for a murder he did not commit (but willingly took the fall for). 

After reading a book about a man claiming his cure from cancer is proof of the existence of God, Gabriel sets out to collect his own information on that topic.

And thus we have The God File. A series of short vignettes and ponderings, all of which are deemed by Gabriel to support, in some way, that there is a God. 

But this is not a heavy theological quest and the existence or lack thereof is left to the reader to decide. The language is harsh and often brutal. The stories themselves evoke many emotions; joy, sorrow, pity, horror, fear.

I'd love to offer a quote, but taken out of context, I found any snippet to be lacking in communicating the overall feel of the book.

So, I guess either read it or don't. It's short and I found it difficult to put down. 

1 comment:

  1. Scary stories? Given my hyperactive nightmare gene, I'll have to pass. Too bad; I like books that are hard to put down.

    ReplyDelete