Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Search by Nora Roberts

The Search
by Nora Roberts
2010
****
4 stars - for dog lovers
ALR Green - a merry pack of search and rescue dogs


On Friday, as I was stretching my legs at work by wandering around the building, I took a moment to check out the book exchange shelf. Well, what should I see, but a book with a dog on the cover. Now Nora Roberts is not typically an author I'd seek out, but this book promised to feature a main character who trained search and rescue dogs, so why not?

It was everything I needed to cleanse my pallet from an unfortunate string of bombs. As expected, the story and the characters were stock romantic mystery fare. Ho hum. Who cares? But the dogs! Dogs everywhere! Dogs doing search and rescue, dogs playing fetch, even a puppy! Woo hoo! 

To Ms. Roberts' credit, she seems to know her stuff regarding dog training and search and rescue. So in addition to happy dogs romping and frolicking about, there were passages about behavior modification in dogs and how S&R dogs do their jobs. Wonderful! 

Um, almost forgot, there is actually a story independent of the dogs. Something about a woman who escapes from a serial killer, moves out to an island and sets up a dog training business, meets a furniture maker who is rough around the edges, falls in love, gets tangled up in a new string of killings, etc., etc. But did I mention there are dogs?

4 comments:

  1. I've read Ms. Roberts before with no objections, so this moves to the top of my light, must-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is by far my favourite book by her exactly for the reason you stated - DOGS!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of Nora Roberts, although the relative who lives in Denver just adores everything she's ever written. If I find this book, I'll reading it before sending it along to Denver, just for the dogs.

    I did buy one book with dogs on the cover at a used book sale, and it was awful. I just re-donated it; I didn't want to pass that one on to others. It didn't even get put onto my 2014 reading list, it was that upsetting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of Dexter the Snow Dog, BTW. Labs are funny in the snow!

    ReplyDelete