Friday, March 6, 2015

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Americanah
by Chimamnda Ngozi Adichie
2013
477 pages
*
1 star - nope
ALR Blue


I've added a page count to my review summary at the top. Not sure why, but I did.

So, big no for this one. I think that when one finds oneself trying to calculate how many hours will be required to get through a book that it's time to bail. I didn't even survive 100 pages. Yeah, I might have hung in longer if this were my last book, but with more on reserve waiting at the library, why suffer?

I found this to be just too dense and meandering for me. The first chapter was great, but then it kind of took off and I couldn't keep track of where I was in time or place or who the characters were. Plus, I didn't really care to figure it out.

The book has received many positive reviews and, in fact, there is a wait list at the library, so best of luck to whomever gets it next.

From the dust jacket:

... a story of love and race centered around a young man and woman from Nigeria who face difficult choices and challenges in the countries they come to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment