Saturday, June 6, 2015

Chill Factor by Rachel Caine

Chill Factor
Book Three of the Weather Warden Series
2005
**
2 stars - are the weather warden and I going to part ways?
ALR Blue - no animal characters


Even though this was a two star book, I'm putting the next book in the series in my reading queue. Maybe this volume was just a glitch because I liked the previous two a lot.

Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin continues her adventures. Kevin the creepy has holed up in Los Vegas with his Djin (genie in a bottle) and is planning some sort of apocalyptic event. Somehow, he's sucking the magical forces out of the area and building up his powers. Call in Joanne Baldwin. Her mission? Get through the force field around Los Vegas and neutralize Kevin.

I still like Joanne Baldwin. She can take a licking and keep on kicking. I still like the whole weather warden concept, along with the Djin and other non-human entities. But this entry in the series lacked the panache of the previous two.

First of all, it would appear that books 1-3 must have been one book since they collectively take place in the span of a few weeks. That annoyed me. Secondly, not enough cool weather magic, too much plot and talking. I fear Ms. Caine slipped from the literary concept of showing me what's happening to just telling me what's happening. 

Fear not, Ms. Caine, you still have my attention and I'm going to give Joanne another opportunity to wow me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment