Sunday, January 3, 2016

Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

Third Grave Dead Ahead
by Darynda Jones
2012
*****
5 stars - slow start, fantastic finish
ALR Green - trust me, OK?


Charley Davidson is Back! And she's drinking copious amounts of caffeine to stay awake because every time she closes her eyes she sees him. Reyes Farrow, the part-human, part-supermodel son of Satan. Yes, she did imprison him for all eternity, but come on. How is she supposed to solve a missing-persons case, deal with an ego-driven doctor, calm her curmudgeonly dad, and take on a motorcycle gang hell-bent on murder when the devil's son just won't give up his plan of seduction... and revenge?

Total guilty pleasure cannot stop reading series. This one did get off to a slow start and for a bit I was worrying that Ms. Jones had lost her touch. Not so. Things wind up after the first hundred pages and don't stop until the end. Woo hoo! Plenty of surprises, all of them totally cool awesome. 

It isn't often that I am so smitten with a heroine, but, gosh, I do like that Charley Davidson. Mainly, because of her dry wit as in this phone exchange she has with her partner right before she wanders off into the woods in search of clues.

I sighed. Nothing I could do about it now. "Okay, I'm heading that way. I'll call back if I get eaten by a bear."

"Play like a rock."

"Now?"

"No, if a bear starts eating you."

I thought a moment before replying. "Do they have screaming, sobbing rocks, 'cause that's probably what I'll be doing if a bear is gnawing my arm off."

"It would be difficult to just lay there and be eaten alive, huh?"

"Ya think?"

Here's another one.

Utterly annoyed, I sat up, pushed a dampened strand of hair out of my face, and headed to the bathroom, hoping a splash of cool water would help and wondering how the heck the night got so sultry. It was freaking November. Maybe global warming had amped up its game. Or a solar flare had pushed through the magnetosphere and was cooking us all alive. That would suck.

I'm popping book #4 right in the queue and once I get through the stack of three that I already have, it might just jump to the head of the list.

1 comment:

  1. Great excerpts. Especially "I'll call back if I get eaten by a bear."

    ReplyDelete